Thursday, December 10, 2009

Break Blade

Before you comment - YES, I just realized that I skipped Bokurano, but Break Blade was only 11 chapters and I'm done with it so I'll go read Bokurano and then maybe Blue Heaven.

Anyway, Break Blade. As I said already, it's only 11 chapters long so far, but it updates irregularly and so that means there probably won't be another chapter for quite some time.

The premise is that all the world's machines are constructed from a special type of quartz, and what powers the quartz is 'magic'. Magic is in quotes because it is supposedly a special type of magic, that is to say, not as fantasy-like as we would think. (It seems to be more like Spiral Power to me(which will make sense if you've ever seen/read Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.)) The main character is one of few n the world who doesn't possess this 'magic,' so he can't operate machinery and lives a pretty hard life.

His friend(who also happens to be the king of some country that's in the middle of war) summons him and informs him of the existence of a golem(that's what the mecha in this manga are referred to(it confuses me because I always expect golems to be People Who Talk Like This)) that doesn't run on this 'magic'. As soon as Lygatto(the main character) boards this golem, the base where it is stored is attacked and Lygatto operates the golem in order to save his own life. He also learns that the war is against another of his childhood friends.

This story is very good so far, as well as pretty interesting, and while the mechas don't look like anything special, the story and the characters make it a pretty good manga. I rate it 7.5 out of 10.

Now I have to go read Bokurano. I'm sorry for overlooking you, Bokurano!

No comments:

Post a Comment