Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Asklepios

Asklepios is a manga about some kid who is descended from a family of doctors who were considered 'heretics' by the church because of the way they performed surgery, or, rather, the fact that they performed surgery instead of just prescribing medicine or something.

Anyway. It's a kid(who's name, I think, is 'Buzz Medill Asklepios' but I keep wanting to replace 'Medill' with 'Roadkill'. He looks like roadkill. People call him Buzz.) who becomes a great surgeon and saves people and tries to become recognized by the church as doctors instead of heretics. It's very cheesy.

Just to clear something up, at one point the main character uses an external fixator to heal somebody, and the translator's note on onemanga says something about them being used to 'make people taller'. That's not true. External (and internal, for that matter) fixators are used for stabilizing bones or lengthening. In this case, lengthening would be for correcting a discrepancy, not making someone taller. (Take it from someone who knows: My little sister just had a fixator taken out and her legs are almost even!) Limb lengthening is used for people who were either born with disabilities that somehow resulted in uneven limbs or people who somehow injured themselves and had uneven limbs. They are not just used to 'make people taller'. I'm sorry, it's just that that untrue note irks me. (As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that doctors who use fixators for limb lengthening refuse to just 'make people taller'.) Anyway.

Other than the cheesiness and the little bit of misinformation, Asklepios is actually an interesting manga. I mean, it's only 19 chapters long and then ending is just like "what" but other than that...

Anyway, I'll rate it a 6 out of 10. I've read worse, but I've read better as well. Still, if you have a bunch of spare time and absolutely nothing else to do or read, I suppose you could read this.

Asterisks~~~

******

Yes, it lost points for the misinformation. It's annoying and it's NOT TRUE. Heh.

http://xkcd.com/386/ He he he.

No comments:

Post a Comment